Underground Power Lines and Equipment
Underground Line Facts:
- About 45% of Union Power’s active lines (approximately 2,500 miles) are underground.
- Nearly 90% of new lines being installed are underground lines.
- Though these lines are not as affected by storms and ice, their installation takes more time, and equipment/construction is generally more expensive. In addition, specialized equipment is needed to maintain and repair underground lines.
- Because of their location, underground lines may take longer to repair during outages.
- Underground lines are buried from 30-48 inches beneath the surface. However, these distances can change if additional grading is done to the property after installation is completed.
Guidelines for minimum required access distances to equipment.
Call before you dig around any pad-mounted electrical equipment.